Elevate your fall chili with the addition of pumpkin.
1/2 cup vegetable broth (or 1 tablespoon olive oil; for sautéing)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 bell peppers, chopped (any color)
1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can black beans, OR red beans
1 15-ounce can pinto beans
1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)
juice from 1 lime
toppings: cilantro, avocado, jalapeños, sriracha, crushed tortilla chips
1. In a big pot, heat up the vegetable broth.
2. Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add in the bell peppers, cook another 5 minutes. Add in the canned tomatoes, beans, pumpkin, vegetable broth and spices (excluding the lime until the end). Stir until well combined.
4. Bring to a slight boil, turn down heat and cover to let simmer about 15-20 minutes.
5. Turn off heat and stir in the fresh lime juice.
6. Serve immediately with your favorite spices.